In this two semester course, students will continue to build their Spanish language skills of speaking, writing, listening and reading. Through practice in and out of class, students will work towards meeting the “Intermediate Mid” level of proficiency as outlined by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Working towards meeting the “intermediate mid” level means that students will have a working Spanish proficiency in the following areas:
-Present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners on a variety of topics.
-Expound on familiar topics and those requiring research.
-Self-monitor and adjust language production.
-Engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
-Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between practices and perspectives of the cultures studied.
-Self-edit written work for content, organization, and grammar.
-Present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of readers on a variety of topics.
-Demonstrate comprehension of content from authentic audio and visual resources.
-Apply critical thinking skills to authentic aural sources.
-Monitor comprehension and use other sources to enhance understanding.
-Understand the purpose of a message and point of view of its author.
-Identify the distinguishing features (e.g. type of resource, intended audience, purpose) of authentic written texts.
-Interpret content from authentic digital/print resources.
Source: Standards for Learning Languages
TOPICS OF STUDY:
- QC 4 Unit 1 – Greet others in formal/informal situations; Request information; COUNTRY: Cuba
- QC 4 Unit 2 – Travel, checking in at an airport, getting around an airport; COUNTRY: España
- QC 4 Unit 3 – Plans after high school/college, professions; COUNTRY: Perú
- QC 4 Unit 4 – Around the house, chores; COUNTRY: Bolivia
- QC 4 Unit 5 – Employment, finances; COUNTRY: México
- QC 4 Unit 6 – Health, well-being; COUNTRY: Chile
- QC 4 Unit 7 – Around town, shopping; COUNTRY: Argentina